Senior School Curriculum
At Year 12, we focus on academic achievement, vocational training and career pathways beyond secondary school. For our Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE) students, the focus centres on supporting our students to achieve academic success and preparing students for acceptance into Tertiary studies. For our Victorian Certificate of Applied Learning (VCAL) students, the focus centres on supporting our students to achieve high level competency in a range of curriculum areas related to industry and the workplace, with a view to preparing students for transition to TAFE and/or employment. We are committed to providing senior secondary options to suit the abilities, interests and needs of all students.
All VCE students will participate in seminars and workshops delivered by Elevate Education during 2020. This is an excellent opportunity for our students. Elevate has been transforming the way study skills programs are run across Australia. Drawing upon over 15 years of research into the habits of the country’s top students, Elevate’s high impact seminars & workshops help students improve their study techniques, increase motivation, build confidence, and lift exam performance.
This program runs every Wednesday after school from 3:10pm to 4:10pm in the yellow building – study area. This is an excellent opportunity for the students to come along and receive extra support with their schoolwork. Teachers from a range of subject areas area available to assist.
The English team run an English class every Wednesday Morning 8:00am in the LRC. This is an excellent opportunity for students to build on their English skills and meet the expectations of VCE English.
This session runs every Friday after school from 3:10pm to 4:10pm in the LRC. This is an excellent opportunity for students to build on their English skills and meet the expectations of VCE English as well as get extra assistance for their up and coming SACs.
Camp Manyung provides our students with an opportunity to enhance their skills, knowledge and attitudes necessary to maximise their success in 2020. The primary purpose of the camp is to provide an exciting ‘off campus’ opportunity for students to forge stronger relationships with their peers and their Year 12 VCE/VCAL staff. Students are presented with a range of targeted workshops covering time and stress management, coursework/assessment outcome completion, as well as a number of team building activities. Further to this, students participate in an exciting array of outdoor activities. Camp Manyung is located on Sunnyside road in Mt Eliza.
Supporting your child through Year 12
Parents and caregivers are integral in supporting their child through VCE. The most effective ways a parent/caregiver can offer support are the practical, physical things and to keep a close eye on their son or daughter’s mental/emotional health.
- Encourage healthy and regular eating – breakfast is vital
- Encourage daily exercise – half hour minimum
- Encourage adequate water intake – aim for 2 litres per day
- Encourage adequate sleep – 8-9 hours, no late night study – it doesn’t work!
- Guide, support and encourage your son or daughter. Don’t nag and tell them they will fail if they don’t work harder
- Take their efforts seriously. Encourage them to believe in themselves and their ability to do their best
- Let them know you are there when they need you and encourage them to communicate, in particular if they are feeling overwhelmed and/or struggling
- Keep an eye on their mental health – look for changes in mood, sleeping/eating patterns and/or behaviour. If concerned speak to the school’s VCE coordinator, teacher or member of the wellbeing team or your family doctor
- Help them keep the year in perspective. Encourage them to do their best but don’t overwhelm them with pressure, expectations or negative comments. Aim for encouragement, praise, support and realistic expectations of their academic performance
- Remember people often become supersensitive and explosive under pressure – family members may be the first target. Try not to overreact or personalise!
- Set up a study friendly area – quiet, well lit and free from distractions
- Encourage regular study breaks – stretch, grab a snack, fresh air/power walk
- Encourage your son /daughter to limit gaming/social media time
- It is still important for your son/daughter to have some relaxation and fun time
- Encourage your son/daughter to avoid or limit part time work – 10 hours maximum per week
- Limit their other responsibilities including domestic chores
Year 12 Student Leadership
The year 12 team values the student voice program. It is a key strategy in the promotion of student leadership and engagement within Cranbourne East Secondary College, as well as a key part of improving and strengthening community links between students, parents and the wider CESC community.
We are proud to announce our school captains, vice captains and class captains who working collaboratively to provide students with the opportunity to voice their opinion, discuss any concerns that individuals or classes may have and build a positive school environment.
Year 12 at a glance
We offer a broad range of VCE Studies to our Year 12 students. All Year 12 VCE students undertake English as this is a compulsory component of the Victorian Certificate of Education awarded at the completion of Year 12. Other studies available to students in 2020 are listed below.
All Year 12 VCAL students undertake a fully accredited Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority (VCAA) program including Literacy, Numeracy, Work Related Skills and Industry Specific Skills. All Year 12 VCAL students also completed a Vocational Education and Training (VET) course and a Structured Work Placement..